I kind of can't believe that I'm 26. I'm officially closer to 30 than 20! Scary...
Today, November 12, 2008, is my 26th birthday. As such, it is only fitting that I take a moment to look back and reflect on the last year of my life. Please humor my navel-gazing; I’m a writer, it comes with the territory.
26 Things I Learned (or re-learned) at 25:
- Love can happen when you least expect it.
- If you constantly settle for less, be it in work, friendships or relationships, you will ultimately never get what you deserve.
- Twitter is awesome.
- CHANGE is actually possible.
- My instincts about people are usually more right than wrong.
- Working with people from all over the country (or world) is rewarding and makes meeting in person that much better.
- TV seasons during a writers strike totally blow. Even though I fully support the WGA, truncated seasons blow.
- It is possible to make a movie based on a TV show that doesn’t suck (see, Sex and the City: The Movie and Get Smart).
- Even if it doesn’t get to be my full-time career, film is still my ultimate passion.
- Lisa is my Diana (or I’m hers — Anne of Green Gables reference). I love you Lisa!
- Mac fans are freaky crazy. They’re awesome, but they are insane. I’m glad to be one of them.
- The fluttering sensation of seeing my byline in print or online hasn’t disappeared.
- Being in a healthy relationship underscores how dysfunctional my previous relationships really were.
- Sometimes it is necessary to emotionally cut people out of your life. I’m better for it.
- I can usually accomplish what I set-out to accomplish. Setting mental goals is important.
- Losing out on something is OK. It can often lead to better opportunities.
- Never underestimate the person on the other end of the phone or e-mail. He or she could change your life.
- It is possible to grow at least two inches after turning 25. It’s fucked up and weird, but possible.
- I CAN get too thin. I have to remind myself of this because when I start to look normal (now), I can’t mentally see myself as fat.
- I love public speaking. I’m good at public speaking. I need to do more of it.
- There are two Apple products one must never buy: The Mighty Mouse and the original in-ear earphones (the unreleased revision might be better).
- The iPod Touch really does kick ass. Too bad AT&T sucks so much.
- Humor is a necessary and important part of any relationship — personal or professional. If you can’t laugh, I can’t deal with you.
- It’s OK to get personal on this site.
- I’m grateful to be alive. And for me, this a huge statement.
8 people have left comments
26 years! I never thought of that, you look like 21 or so… Anyway, congratulations!! I really liked your statements no. 1, 15, 24 and 26 Keep it up! Life Goes On!!!
Saludos desde Mexico!
Happy birthday. Sorry I’m late. I’m in love with your writing, and look forward to checking out more. (Found you through Twitter, btw.)
You complain about being 26? Try being 31! LOL!
So glad to hear that most of your 26 topics i have already learned, though later in life.
Here’s to the years ahead! Happy BDAY!!!
This was a great post. I am glad I came across it. Some of what you feel, applies to a lot of us. Specially #15!