Video Tutorial: Automate Media Temple (gs) backups with Amazon S3

This is a video follow-up to my last post about S3 Backups on Media Temple's (gs)

This is a video follow-up to my last post about S3 Backups on Media Temple’s (gs). The response I’ve received to that entry has been really, really positive and I’m thrilled that people are finding the tutorial and the script useful.

In the comments of that entry, Patrick was running into some problems — it seemed like maybe he had missed a step. It occurred to me that it might be really beneficial to have the entire process documented in a screencast, because some people do better with a visual guide, and for anyone unfamiliar with their command line, seeing what you are supposed to do can be really, really helpful.

So I whipped up a video tutorial on Thursday. I wanted to have it posted earlier, but I wanted to stream it as a QuickTime file (for optimum quality/performance) and I had to tweak the settings of the QTSS server I’m using and then figure out the best way to embed the content. I was out all day yesterday and I didn’t really get a chance to look seriously at embed options until this morning. The solution I ended up using is Shadowbox, a JavaScript AJAXy media player.

You need QuickTime or VLC or something to view the file. If you need it in another format, I can try to acquiesce 🙂

For the demo, I’m assuming you are using my backup_server.sh script, but the steps are the same even if you are using your own.

Small Player

Medium Player

Super Huge Player

Enjoy! If you have any more questions, just leave them here and I’ll try my best to answer them.

July 2008
« Jun   Aug »
20212223242526

Using Amazon S3 to backup Media Temple’s Grid (gs) | www.ChristinaWarren.com - Gravatar

Using Amazon S3 to backup Media Temple’s Grid (gs) | www.ChristinaWarren.com said:

[…] This entry was posted on Tue, June 24th, 2008. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Previous Entry Next Entry […]

Posted on: July 13, 2008 at 8:31 pmQuote this Comment
Patrick Sikorski - Gravatar

Patrick Sikorski said:

You Are AWESOME! This is perfect, I was able to get it to work fine! Thank You so much! Also, couldn’t help but notice you were able to snag a (mt) xv server. How is that going?

Posted on: July 13, 2008 at 9:11 pmQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

Patrick – YAY!

I’m so glad that it worked! I can’t believe I didn’t think to do a screencast earlier. Well, the (xv) is what is serving up those QuickTime files and it seems be doing a good job so far of serving the videos. I’m still testing it and playing with it but it is AWESOME.

Posted on: July 13, 2008 at 9:17 pmQuote this Comment
Patrick Sikorski - Gravatar

Patrick Sikorski said:

Hopefully it will be well priced when it is released. Anyway thanks again! Follow me on Twitter @warning9

Posted on: July 13, 2008 at 9:19 pmQuote this Comment
Mike - Gravatar

Mike said:

Very interesting. I’m going to implement this sometime in the next week. Video is really easy to follow 🙂

Is there any provisions for backing up sites from a Rails or Django container? I’m not sure if the symlinks would pick-up anything beyond the public folder of the container sites otherwise. If not, I may modify the script to allow for an optional array of container paths and sites.

Posted on: July 27, 2008 at 12:43 amQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

I’m not sure about containers — as I haven’t used mine. You might have to set a different array — that’s actually a good idea, I’ll try to create a Ruby container and see if I can get anything with the script, but I imagine an additional array will need to be added.

Posted on: July 27, 2008 at 8:45 amQuote this Comment
Bookmarks about Tutorial - Gravatar

Bookmarks about Tutorial said:

[…] – bookmarked by 4 members originally found by cerdeira on 2008-07-18 Video Tutorial: Automate Media Temple (gs) backups with Amazon S3 http://www.christinawarren.com/2008/07/13/video-tutorial-s3-backup-media-temple-gs/ – bookmarked […]

Posted on: August 9, 2008 at 5:15 amQuote this Comment
Mike - Gravatar

Mike said:

Hey Christina..

Just wanted to fly on by and say a HUGE thankyou for the S3 Tut. It works a treat and simply allows a little piece of mind if s*?# did hit the fan @ (mt).

Anyways, thanks again..

Mike

Posted on: September 13, 2008 at 2:24 amQuote this Comment
dave - Gravatar

dave said:

could not get your videos to work. Tried firefox, ie, chrome even got the link from source but kept getting errors. Sounds like a great tutorial would love to see it.

Posted on: July 8, 2009 at 2:52 pmQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

Hey Dave, let me re-check those URLS, it might be later today but they should be fixed soon. Thanks!

Posted on: July 10, 2009 at 11:30 amQuote this Comment
AskTheAdmin.com - Gravatar

AskTheAdmin.com said:

I can not get the videos to work either Christina and I would love a little more help!

Posted on: August 4, 2009 at 10:05 amQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

Try it now AsktheAdmin! I’ve changed the links!

Posted on: August 4, 2009 at 10:58 amQuote this Comment
Automatically back up your entire web server files and databases to Amazon S3 – The Dev Scene - Gravatar

Automatically back up your entire web server files and databases to Amazon S3 – The Dev Scene said:

[…] is geared toward Media Temple, but I imagine could be adapted to other hosts. She also did a screencast demo demonstrating it all. This is high on my list of to-do’s, and handy for me being on Media […]

Posted on: February 10, 2010 at 2:12 pmQuote this Comment
wheel spin roulette - Gravatar

wheel spin roulette said:

The tutorial shows the video of the Automate media Temple (gs) backups with Amazon s3. For the demo there are some players which is used here.

Posted on: March 9, 2010 at 7:04 amQuote this Comment
Alejandro Shepley - Gravatar

Alejandro Shepley said:

buti buy in amazon usually use counpons in this url

Posted on: May 19, 2010 at 2:44 amQuote this Comment
how to have high eq - Gravatar

how to have high eq said:

Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me these days, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and also nice luck!

Posted on: September 22, 2010 at 6:08 amQuote this Comment
Bingo - Gravatar

Bingo said:

Wow, interesting! Has anyone else come across the same thing compared to this? I am curious where to find more responses on this matter…

Posted on: November 4, 2010 at 4:44 amQuote this Comment
weultras.com - Gravatar

weultras.com said:

weultras.com…

[…]Video Tutorial: Automate Media Temple (gs) backups with Amazon S3-www.ChristinaWarren.com[…]…

Posted on: May 4, 2012 at 6:35 pmQuote this Comment