Squadcast #11 — Pimp your WordPress!

This is pretty cool, we talked to Alex King from Crowd Favorite about WordPress and discuss a few of the best plugins for pimping out your WordPress install. Yes, I just typed, "pimping out" -- no, I could not be more white if I tried...

See the full post at Down­load Squad where there are also higher qual­ity (and iPod com­pat­i­ble) down­load links.

This is pretty cool, we talked to Alex King from Crowd Favorite about Word­Press and dis­cuss a few of the best plu­g­ins for pimp­ing out your Word­Press install. Yes, I just typed, “pimp­ing out” — no, I could not be more white if I tried.

Because we were lim­ited to 5 plu­gin choices (and we even fudged that a lit­tle bit), I wasn’t able to include all of my favorite plu­g­ins. A few more, in addi­tion to what we men­tion in the video:

I’m a HUGE fan of Mint, but I like being able to use Google Ana­lyt­ics to track traf­fic too — it’s not real time like Mint, but it can still be handy. As such, I’ve found Joost de Valk’s Google Ana­lyt­ics for Word­Press plu­gin a must-have.

In a sim­i­lar vein, it’s annoy­ing to have to re-generate a sitemap from my host ever few days, so I use the great Google XML Sitemap generator

Word­Press DB Backup is really, really nice. It’s not that I can’t man­u­ally back-up my MySQL data­base myself, but the fact that once a week a backup is e-mailed to me is not only con­ve­nient, but very help­ful. For instance, when I was try­ing to fig­ure out some weird­ness on my blog last week, it was great to have a copy of the data­base from Sun­day (before the weird­ness started) to com­pare files. Plus, if I don’t have to think about back­ing up, all the better.

I don’t have it installed right now because I need to work on dis­play­ing the markup in my side­bar first, but Alex King’s Twit­ter Tools is far and away my favorite Twit­ter Word­Press option. Because my theme doesn’t natively use wid­gets (it works bet­ter if I just cre­ate my own), get­ting some of the Twit­ter plu­g­ins to work was kind of dif­fi­cult and didn’t leave me with a lot of options for styling — Alex’s tool not only does that, but you can even Tweet from your blog (I dis­abled that, but it’s a cool fea­ture). Plus it does that great, tweet when you post a new blog post thing. Love that.

What are your favorite Word­Press plu­g­ins? Maybe we can do a follow-up show, Pimp your Word­Press 2: Elec­tric Bugaloo

February 2008
« Jan   Mar »
17181920212223

Joost de Valk - Gravatar

Joost de Valk said:

Hey Christina, thx for the link to my plu­gin! (Even though I didn’t make it to the show ;) )

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 3:32 pmQuote this Comment
Anirudh - Gravatar

Anirudh said:

Hi, I’m a word­press plu­gin dev myself(oneclick and tagthis), and it was a good and infor­ma­tive screen­cast, and the inter­view with alex king, and his insight­ful com­ments were pretty good.

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 4:37 pmQuote this Comment
Chris Mur­phy - Gravatar

Chris Mur­phy said:

So far my top three plu­g­ins for Word­Press are:

SRG Clean Archives iWPhone Get Recent Comments

I’m going to take a look at the google sitemap plu­gin, that seems pretty inter­est­ing. I only wish ser­vices like crazyegg.com would develop a plu­gin for blog­ging plat­forms like WordPress.

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 9:28 pmQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

Joost — thanks for the visit! Your plu­g­ins are awe­some, I’m really impressed with the work you’ve done with Socia­ble (that needed an update in the worst way!) — you rock!

Anirudh — OneClick looks really inter­est­ing, I’m going to check it out, thanks for stop­ping by!

Chris — I haven’t used iWPhone (no iPod Touch — yet, 32GB is beck­on­ing me) but I’m with you on the other two — espe­cially in this theme, they work SO well. Thanks again!

Posted on: February 13, 2008 at 7:48 amQuote this Comment
Mostly Lisa - Gravatar

Mostly Lisa said:

just like social nets, i have too many wp plu­g­ins. the two i really need are: 1. Digg/add to social net but­ton, and 2. Flickr gallery or thumb­nails for side­bar. I have tried and failed with almost all of the cur­rent plug-ins out there for these two sim­ple things. They either slow down my blog loads or 404. i haven’t been able to get google xml work­ing, so i’d love to get some tech sup­port from you on that. i’ll go a post on my plu­g­ins some­time soon.

i’m just wait­ing for my flight to Lon­don which was delayed for two hours. i was mad, but then i turned on my MB and voila! wifi. so i could stay here allll night. well, maybe not. if there were also cook­ies i might make till tomorrow.

Posted on: February 14, 2008 at 12:23 amQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

D’oh for delayed flight but w00t for wifi. Wifi heals all. Yeah, e-mail me your setup for your Google XML thing, I’m sure that’s some­thing we can fig­ure out. Have you tried Joost’s new update to Socia­ble? It now has Face­book and other stuff added and if I didn’t have mine hard­coded, it would be the plu­gin I would use.

Posted on: February 14, 2008 at 12:37 amQuote this Comment