Squadcast #11 — Pimp your WordPress!

This is pretty cool, we talked to Alex King from Crowd Favorite about WordPress and discuss a few of the best plugins for pimping out your WordPress install. Yes, I just typed, "pimping out" -- no, I could not be more white if I tried...

See the full post at Down­load Squad where there are also high­er qual­i­ty (and iPod com­pat­i­ble) down­load links.

This is pret­ty cool, we talked to Alex King from Crowd Favorite about Word­Press and dis­cuss a few of the best plu­g­ins for pimp­ing out your Word­Press install. Yes, I just typed, “pimp­ing out” — no, I could not be more white if I tried.

Because we were lim­it­ed to 5 plu­g­in choic­es (and we even fudged that a lit­tle bit), I wasn’t able to include all of my favorite plu­g­ins. A few more, in addi­tion to what we men­tion in the video:

I’m a HUGE fan of Mint, but I like being able to use Google Ana­lyt­ics to track traf­fic too — it’s not real time like Mint, but it can still be handy. As such, I’ve found Joost de Valk’s Google Ana­lyt­ics for Word­Press plu­g­in a must-have.

In a sim­i­lar vein, it’s annoy­ing to have to re-gen­er­ate a sitemap from my host ever few days, so I use the great Google XML Sitemap gen­er­a­tor

Word­Press DB Back­up is real­ly, real­ly nice. It’s not that I can’t man­u­al­ly back-up my MySQL data­base myself, but the fact that once a week a back­up is e-mailed to me is not only con­ve­nient, but very help­ful. For instance, when I was try­ing to fig­ure out some weird­ness on my blog last week, it was great to have a copy of the data­base from Sun­day (before the weird­ness start­ed) to com­pare files. Plus, if I don’t have to think about back­ing up, all the bet­ter.

I don’t have it installed right now because I need to work on dis­play­ing the markup in my side­bar first, but Alex King’s Twit­ter Tools is far and away my favorite Twit­ter Word­Press option. Because my theme doesn’t native­ly use wid­gets (it works bet­ter if I just cre­ate my own), get­ting some of the Twit­ter plu­g­ins to work was kind of dif­fi­cult and didn’t leave me with a lot of options for styling — Alex’s tool not only does that, but you can even Tweet from your blog (I dis­abled that, but it’s a cool fea­ture). Plus it does that great, tweet when you post a new blog post thing. Love that.

What are your favorite Word­Press plu­g­ins? Maybe we can do a fol­low-up show, Pimp your Word­Press 2: Elec­tric Buga­loo

February 2008
« Jan   Mar »
17181920212223

Joost de Valk - Gravatar

Joost de Valk said:

Hey Christi­na, thx for the link to my plu­g­in! (Even though I didn’t make it to the show 😉 )

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 3:32 pmQuote this Comment
Anirudh - Gravatar

Anirudh said:

Hi, I’m a word­press plu­g­in dev myself(oneclick and tagth­is), and it was a good and infor­ma­tive screen­cast, and the inter­view with alex king, and his insight­ful com­ments were pret­ty good.

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 4:37 pmQuote this Comment
Chris Mur­phy - Gravatar

Chris Mur­phy said:

So far my top three plu­g­ins for Word­Press are:

SRG Clean Archives iWPhone Get Recent Com­ments

I’m going to take a look at the google sitemap plu­g­in, that seems pret­ty inter­est­ing. I only wish ser­vices like crazyegg.com would devel­op a plu­g­in for blog­ging plat­forms like Word­Press.

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 9:28 pmQuote this Comment
Christi­na - Gravatar

Christi­na said:

Joost — thanks for the vis­it! Your plu­g­ins are awe­some, I’m real­ly impressed with the work you’ve done with Socia­ble (that need­ed an update in the worst way!) — you rock!

Anirudh — OneClick looks real­ly inter­est­ing, I’m going to check it out, thanks for stop­ping by!

Chris — I haven’t used iWPhone (no iPod Touch — yet, 32GB is beck­on­ing me) but I’m with you on the oth­er two — espe­cial­ly in this theme, they work SO well. Thanks again!

Posted on: February 13, 2008 at 7:48 amQuote this Comment
Most­ly Lisa - Gravatar

Most­ly Lisa said:

just like social nets, i have too many wp plu­g­ins. the two i real­ly need are: 1. Digg/add to social net but­ton, and 2. Flickr gallery or thumb­nails for side­bar. I have tried and failed with almost all of the cur­rent plug-ins out there for these two sim­ple things. They either slow down my blog loads or 404. i haven’t been able to get google xml work­ing, so i’d love to get some tech sup­port from you on that. i’ll go a post on my plu­g­ins some­time soon.

i’m just wait­ing for my flight to Lon­don which was delayed for two hours. i was mad, but then i turned on my MB and voila! wifi. so i could stay here all­ll night. well, maybe not. if there were also cook­ies i might make till tomor­row.

Posted on: February 14, 2008 at 12:23 amQuote this Comment
Christi­na - Gravatar

Christi­na said:

D’oh for delayed flight but w00t for wifi. Wifi heals all. Yeah, e-mail me your set­up for your Google XML thing, I’m sure that’s some­thing we can fig­ure out. Have you tried Joost’s new update to Socia­ble? It now has Face­book and oth­er stuff added and if I didn’t have mine hard­cod­ed, it would be the plu­g­in I would use.

Posted on: February 14, 2008 at 12:37 amQuote this Comment