Squadcast #11 – Pimp your WordPress!

This is pretty cool, we talked to Alex King from Crowd Favorite about WordPress and discuss a few of the best plugins for pimping out your WordPress install. Yes, I just typed, "pimping out" -- no, I could not be more white if I tried...

See the full post at Download Squad where there are also higher quality (and iPod compatible) download links.

This is pretty cool, we talked to Alex King from Crowd Favorite about WordPress and discuss a few of the best plugins for pimping out your WordPress install. Yes, I just typed, “pimping out” — no, I could not be more white if I tried.

Because we were limited to 5 plugin choices (and we even fudged that a little bit), I wasn’t able to include all of my favorite plugins. A few more, in addition to what we mention in the video:

I’m a HUGE fan of Mint, but I like being able to use Google Analytics to track traffic too — it’s not real time like Mint, but it can still be handy. As such, I’ve found Joost de Valk’s Google Analytics for WordPress plugin a must-have.

In a similar vein, it’s annoying to have to re-generate a sitemap from my host ever few days, so I use the great Google XML Sitemap generator

WordPress DB Backup is really, really nice. It’s not that I can’t manually back-up my MySQL database myself, but the fact that once a week a backup is e-mailed to me is not only convenient, but very helpful. For instance, when I was trying to figure out some weirdness on my blog last week, it was great to have a copy of the database from Sunday (before the weirdness started) to compare files. Plus, if I don’t have to think about backing up, all the better.

I don’t have it installed right now because I need to work on displaying the markup in my sidebar first, but Alex King’s Twitter Tools is far and away my favorite Twitter WordPress option. Because my theme doesn’t natively use widgets (it works better if I just create my own), getting some of the Twitter plugins to work was kind of difficult and didn’t leave me with a lot of options for styling — Alex’s tool not only does that, but you can even Tweet from your blog (I disabled that, but it’s a cool feature). Plus it does that great, tweet when you post a new blog post thing. Love that.

What are your favorite WordPress plugins? Maybe we can do a follow-up show, Pimp your WordPress 2: Electric Bugaloo

February 2008
« Jan   Mar »

Joost de Valk - Gravatar

Joost de Valk said:

Hey Christina, thx for the link to my plugin! (Even though I didn’t make it to the show 😉 )

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 3:32 pmQuote this Comment
Anirudh - Gravatar

Anirudh said:

Hi, I’m a wordpress plugin dev myself(oneclick and tagthis), and it was a good and informative screencast, and the interview with alex king, and his insightful comments were pretty good.

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 4:37 pmQuote this Comment
Chris Murphy - Gravatar

Chris Murphy said:

So far my top three plugins for WordPress are:

SRG Clean Archives iWPhone Get Recent Comments

I’m going to take a look at the google sitemap plugin, that seems pretty interesting. I only wish services like would develop a plugin for blogging platforms like WordPress.

Posted on: February 12, 2008 at 9:28 pmQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

Joost — thanks for the visit! Your plugins are awesome, I’m really impressed with the work you’ve done with Sociable (that needed an update in the worst way!) – you rock!

Anirudh — OneClick looks really interesting, I’m going to check it out, thanks for stopping by!

Chris — I haven’t used iWPhone (no iPod Touch — yet, 32GB is beckoning me) but I’m with you on the other two – especially in this theme, they work SO well. Thanks again!

Posted on: February 13, 2008 at 7:48 amQuote this Comment
Mostly Lisa - Gravatar

Mostly Lisa said:

just like social nets, i have too many wp plugins. the two i really need are: 1. Digg/add to social net button, and 2. Flickr gallery or thumbnails for sidebar. I have tried and failed with almost all of the current plug-ins out there for these two simple things. They either slow down my blog loads or 404. i haven’t been able to get google xml working, so i’d love to get some tech support from you on that. i’ll go a post on my plugins sometime soon.

i’m just waiting for my flight to London which was delayed for two hours. i was mad, but then i turned on my MB and voila! wifi. so i could stay here allll night. well, maybe not. if there were also cookies i might make till tomorrow.

Posted on: February 14, 2008 at 12:23 amQuote this Comment
Christina - Gravatar

Christina said:

D’oh for delayed flight but w00t for wifi. Wifi heals all. Yeah, e-mail me your setup for your Google XML thing, I’m sure that’s something we can figure out. Have you tried Joost’s new update to Sociable? It now has Facebook and other stuff added and if I didn’t have mine hardcoded, it would be the plugin I would use.

Posted on: February 14, 2008 at 12:37 amQuote this Comment